The Best Deck Contractors In Ottawa
Imagine the endless possibilities of summers spent outside on your Ottawa deck, enjoying time with friends and family! Gordmay is Ottawa’s premier deck builder for over 20 years. If you’ve just moved into a brand new home and only have a small builder’s deck, or if you’re looking to replace that old unsafe deck, you’ve come to the right place! Our deck contractors will assist you with every step of the process from start to finish and give you the deck of your dreams! Gordmay will also help to salvage old decks by replacing unsafe boards if the framework underneath is in good condition.
Do Deck Contractors Need a Permit to Build a Deck in The City of Ottawa?
It depends on a few things but generally a building permit is required for the construction of a new building, an addition, or alteration of any building or structure with a building area of approximately 108 square feet. Regardless of a deck’s walking surface, permits are required if:
- The deck is adjacent to or attached to the house and its walking surface is more than 24 inches above the adjacent grade
- The deck is elevated and provides principal access to a building
- If the deck is independent from the house (eg. is in the middle of the yard) and has a walking surface greater than 108 square feet in area and its walking surface is more than 24 inches above the adjacent grade
We will take care of the design and permit process for you and before we start, we will call for locates on your residential utilities and services to ensure the ground is clear before we dig.
Should I go with a pressure treated or cedar deck? The answer to that depends upon a few things:
- Will I mind staining my deck every year or two to keep the cedar looking natural and rich? Both pressure treated and cedar will grey in appearance over time if not treated with a protective stain. There is no point in spending good money on cedar to have it look the same as pressure treated after a couple of years.
- Does my budget allow for the moderate price increase of cedar? Cedar is more expensive than pressure treated wood and as such, we recommend that even if you are building a cedar deck, that you utilize pressure treated wood for the frame and posts – they are hidden under the deck anyway!
- Do I have children and pets that will be regularly using the deck? If this is the case, cedar is a much softer wood than pressure treated and can be prone to scratches…you may want to consider a pressure treated deck and simply apply a stain that will give the appearance of cedar.
How to Choose the Right Deck Builders Ottawa
Decks are one of the most popular additions to residential properties. They act as an extension of indoor spaces, increase the value of the home, and enhance its beauty. However, you can only gain all these benefits if the deck is designed well and installed correctly by the right contractors. There are many people who turn deck building into a DIY project and end up with disappointing results and wasted funds. It’s important to hire the right contractors to ensure that the end result is exactly what you’re looking for. At Gordmay, we encourage you to take the steps listed here.
Have an Idea in Mind
It’s very easy to get carried away and spend more time and effort on your deck than you need to. While companies will help you plan the right design, it’s important to have some ideas of what the end result will look like. Here are a few points to consider:
- How much space do you have?
- How much are you willing to spend?
- What materials do you want to use?
- What kind of railings do you want?
- Do you want to add features like fireplaces, fire pits, benches, etc.?
Conduct Research The next step is to find the best potential contractors. You should ask your friends and relatives for recommendations, look into online reviews, and visit the contractor’s website. You should also ask if the contractor is licensed and insured. Once you’re certain that you have all the information you need to make the right decision, create a short list of contractors to interview.
Conduct Interviews It’s not a good idea to hire contractors without interviewing them. You can discuss your plans for your deck, ask for suggestions and recommendations, and see how well you communicate with them. You’ll have a much better time with the decking project if you can openly communicate with your contractor.
Estimate It’s not uncommon for expenses to go out of hand during a deck-building project. However, if you get a written estimate, you will have an idea of how much everything will cost and this way, you can keep track of your expenses.
For great Ottawa deck builders, you don’t need to look any further than Gordmay! So, don’t hesitate to contact us at 613 715 4841. You can also fill out this contact us form.
Check out this before and after:
27 Providence Pl
Nepean, Ont. K2J 1N9