The right flooring can change the esthetics of your home and increase the return on your investment… however, the wrong one can really have the reverse effect. Flooring is a considerable expense so you need to be absolutely certain that you make the right choice. At Gordmay Flooring Ottawa, we always tell our clients that the right flooring material will make all the difference. Here’s a small guide that will help you with the decision.
There are several material choices available to you and each material has its advantages and disadvantages. Here’s a list of popular materials used for flooring.
• Hardwood – This is the traditional choice for flooring material and it hasn’t lost its charm over the years. Hardwoods are durable, warm, and beautiful. They can also be expensive and a little difficult to maintain. See our Flooring page which compares solid hardwood to engineered flooring.
• Laminate – This is a more affordable alternative to hardwood and is available in different textures and designs. It’s also very easy to install, making it a very interesting DIY project.
• Bamboo – For people that want an eco-friendly home, bamboo is a great option. This flooring type is resilient and looks great as well.
• Cork – This is another eco-friendly flooring option. It has a unique structure that will cushion your feet and offer some sound absorption as well. This is also a good flooring option for wet areas like bathrooms and kitchens.
• Linoleum – This is an affordable flooring option and is eco-friendly as well. It’s made from linseed oil, wood flour, and rosins and has natural antibacterial properties.
• Tile – Tile is available is a variety of colors and textures – Suppliers have thought of it all, you can purchase floor tile that resembles wood. Being low maintenance, it’s a popular choice. Installation costs can be pricey due to the fact the original sub-floor must be properly screwed and an additional sub membrane added (either plywood or Ditra schluter) prior to installation.
• Concrete – Concrete has become immensely popular because it’s resilient, can be stained, stamped, or polished. It’s also very low maintenance.
Deciding What to Buy
When you decide to buy, you need to ask yourself a few questions.
• What is your budget?
• In which room will the flooring be installed? Kitchens and bathrooms need special attention.
• Do you have children or pets?
• What kind of maintenance schedule do you want? Would you like to set-and-forget the flooring?
At Gordmay Flooring Ottawa, we always recommend that you call in a professional for advice and suggestions on your flooring Ottawa projects. They will help you make the right choice. Contact us if you want help with your renovations. Our number is 613 715 4841. You can also fill in this contact us form.